So, as the entire Marvel fandom already knows, the Infinity War trailer was released earlier this week. (And may I just say: 95M views on YouTube! Wow!)
In case you haven’t seen it, click here to watch it on YouTube. It looks excellent.
Here are my theories for what’s happening in the next Avengers movie. (May I make it clear: these are theories. In all likelihood, I could be completely wrong on some of these.)
Warning: Contains major Ragnarok spoilers!
1. The ship at the end of Thor: Ragnarok was Thanos’ ship. Of all the theories in this post, this one is the most likely to be true. As we all know, the rest of the Asgardians were on board Thor’s ship when the large spaceship showed up. If it was Thanos, then he probably killed or captured most of the Asgardians. This would explain why we see Loki stepping over bodies and handing someone the Tesseract (he snatched it from Asgard). He was most likely giving Thanos the Space Stone to save his and Thor’s life. Thanos would end up keeping Loki as prisoner and sending Thor adrift in a small spacecraft, where he meets the Guardians of the Galaxy.
2. The last Infinity Stone is with Heimdall. Ever wonder how Heimdall can see all? Maybe it’s because he’s got the Soul Stone in his possession. It could definitely explain the strange Thor-is-now-with-Heimdall occurrence in Ragnarok. It would also explain Thor’s vision in Age of Ultron, when Thor sees a blinded Heimdall. Thanos would have taken the Soul Stone from him. (Besides, part of that vision is already true, since Asgard is now destroyed and Thor can use his powers without the hammer.)
3. Captain America will be sent back in time. If Thor’s vision is going to come true, why wouldn’t Cap’s? After all, the Time Stone could definitely bring him back to WWII era America. The question is: Will he be stuck there for all eternity?
4. Vision is going to die. Thanos will stop at nothing to get this Avenger’s Mind Stone. Since (as far as we know) Vision cannot survive without the Infinity Stone, if and when Thanos takes it from him, Vision will cease to exist.
And finally . . .
5. Iron Man isn’t going to make it. Yes, you heard me right. There is a very good chance Iron Man will not survive the entirety of Infinity War. Not all the good guys will live to see the next movies, and since Cap might be sent back in time, Mr. Stark might be the one to give his life for the cause. Plus, Robert Downey Jr.’s contract is expiring soon, and as far as I know, he had stated that he will not be returning afterwards. Maybe it’s time for Peter Parker to fill Iron Man’s role.
Infinity War comes out in May of 2018. Since this is the movie that the MCU has been leading up to for several years, I hope it’s a climax worthy of Marvel.